YAY! Through Another MOT

Anything related to the 206CC
Lady Python

YAY! Through Another MOT

Post by Lady Python »

Well, my old girl, 2L 206cc, 52 plate passed another MOT :excite:

She did need a few repairs this time namely:

Track rod
Windscreen washers needed blasting through (cap had fallen off and debris got in)
Several lightbulbs failed or colours faded

Surprisingly, the exhaust failed. It was a new exhaust system put on just before I bought the car. Surprised the mechanic doing the MOT as well. Turned out it was a bad weld where the pipe joins the second silencer box. Now rewelded.

Two advisories:

Discs are getting a bit pitted but not affecting braking

and

Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement O/R (radius arm)

so we'll be keeping an eye on that two but brakes I consider consumables anyway.

Total cost including the MOT fee was a very reasonable £145. Job that took the longest was clearing out the windscreen washers. The whole system was completely blocked.

Car went 18 months from her last MOT due to the lockdown so all in all, not bad.

I've got my beloved car for another year (at least) :dance:

gazza82

Re: YAY! Through Another MOT

Post by gazza82 »

Watch the suspension arm .. it may be wise to change it sooner rather than later. Our 206 had one where the ball joint came out of the arm .. which isn't the greatest way to arrive in an Esso petrol forecourt!! Pretty excessive negative camber too!!

And the arms are the GTI version .. fit standard ones to a CC and they last about a week!
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

Lady Python

Post by Lady Python »

gazza82 wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:33 pm Watch the suspension arm .. it may be wise to change it sooner rather than later. Our 206 had one where the ball joint came out of the arm .. which isn't the greatest way to arrive in an Esso petrol forecourt!! Pretty excessive negative camber too!!

And the arms are the GTI version .. fit standard ones to a CC and they last about a week!
Thanks for that, especially to get the GTI version. Where would I get a GTI suspension arm from?

Many years ago I had a Rover 2000SC. The front suspension parted company on the nearside and locked the steering. That was fun (not) as I was a very young driver at the time. Nothing was harmed and the car didn't hit anything but it was a scary moment so don't fancy anything like that happening again :o

Luditus

Post by Luditus »

I managed to get my 52 plate through MOT this week too. It didn't fail on anything, and I did no preparation. Due to shielding and lockdown, the poor thing had only done 60 miles since the last test!
Regarding radius arms - is that front, or rear? If front, then treat them like tyres - always replace both sides at the same time.

Lady Python

Post by Lady Python »

Luditus wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:54 pm I managed to get my 52 plate through MOT this week too. It didn't fail on anything, and I did no preparation. Due to shielding and lockdown, the poor thing had only done 60 miles since the last test!
Regarding radius arms - is that front, or rear? If front, then treat them like tyres - always replace both sides at the same time.
It's the rear so yes, would do both at the same time.

Great that yours passed the MOT too :thumbs:

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

Didn't spot the rear bit so ignore the gti reference. Rear arms are all same. Although a bigger pita to replace I understand.
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo