Engine cranking, no start, cam sprockets not turning

Anything related to the 206CC
wizlinkx

Re: Engine cranking, no start, cam sprockets not turning

Post by wizlinkx »

Thanks Ian for that helpful info.

Yes I understand tightening the head bolts and which way is critical to the balance of the fitment.
2006 206CC TU5JP4 NFU, 1.6l, 16v engine, Tiptronic, 184.000 Kilometers, Automatic A/C.

Slo

Post by Slo »

Get yourself one of these before you do anything, make sure you choose option B

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-5M-7MM-And ... DDIMHKgY5g

Take out the spark plugs and you can lower the camera into the holes to see what the valves look like, it comes with a mirror attachment that allows it to see at 90 degrees using your phone as the screen, you can take pictures with it too, i've got one and its very handy.

It has a very bright led light on the end of it too. There maybe more damage than you care to take care of, this way you can decide.
2003 03'reg Peugeot 206cc 1997cc Manual

wizlinkx

Post by wizlinkx »

Thanks Sio.

Yes Gazza suggested I try an endoscope, an electronic borescope to dive in to the cylinders.

I'd checked what's available here. Saw what you suggested. I thought since the tip cannot be bent 180º, it's useless. But saw that attachment with the mirror. Was wondering how it can be attached to the tip?

There's one that can connect to iOS, Android and PC too.

Think I'll order one.
2006 206CC TU5JP4 NFU, 1.6l, 16v engine, Tiptronic, 184.000 Kilometers, Automatic A/C.

Slo

Post by Slo »

The mirror attachment screws on so it cant come off while its in use, nothing to worry about there :thumbs:

Picture quality is pretty decent too for such a cheap cam.
2003 03'reg Peugeot 206cc 1997cc Manual

wizlinkx

Post by wizlinkx »

Thanks Sio.

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

I wouldn't bother with a borescope. The valves WILL be bent
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

wizlinkx

Post by wizlinkx »

Thanks Capncol.

Well, I'm getting some extra tools, starting with the jack, jack stands, basin to drain the coolant to. Have the rest of the tools.

Found a place to get the head checked (high pressure), and then repair the valves or replace them.

I'll have clean valves with good sealing after that. Do another 100,000 Kilometers. Then think about how to put in a refurbished 2.0l in there if I can get one.

Is it required to phase or polish the head?

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

You won't need to pay to pressure check valves. You will see them.
You can also do your own leak test. Invert the head (with cams removed) and fill combustion chamber with white spirit. The fluid will leak out of the inlet or exhaust ports (or both) on the non seating valves.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.

wizlinkx

Post by wizlinkx »

That's sounds easy.

Is white spirit also called turpentine?

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

It's a shame as I binned some bent ones last week. I could have posted a pic if I still had them. Yes Turpentine will be fine.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

wizlinkx

Post by wizlinkx »

Yes, I've seen some nasty ones in some videos.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to do the valve replacement at home since I don't have my own garage and a work bench where I live. Car's in a parking lot, and I don't have the proper tools to put the springs and holders back. I'd rather give it to the engineering workshop. I'm having a good mind to try it on the dining table, but that won't happen :)

wizlinkx

Post by wizlinkx »

Capncol, thanks for your valuable feedback.

I'll be starting work on the car from tomorrow.

Will keep posted of the progress.

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Special tools you will need to carry out the job fully, inc changing valves- other than Socket set and spanners screw drivers etc:.
Torque wrench
Valve spring compressor
Gasket scraper
Torx sockets
Valve lapping tool

Regarding a bench, what about one of those Workmate type benches? You should have a clean area in any case. You shouldn't be putting components on the ground.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

wizlinkx wrote:Then think about how to put in a refurbished 2.0l in there if I can get one.
Don't bother unless you fancy changing a lot of other parts including ecu/bsi/wiring, exhaust, and poss gearbox. Plus upgraded brakes, suspension arms, ....
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

wizlinkx

Post by wizlinkx »

I have two socket sets, one imperial one metric, a torque wrench, adapters for the sockets, Torx set, compression meter, timing light etc., bought at the time I used to do repairs on the Ford Probes and the Cobra.

Used to do clutch plate replacements, timing belt and some little mechanical work when needed.

This is the first time I'm removing a head.

Have to get the spring compressor and the lapping tool.

Workmate bench is a good idea. Easy to put away after the work.

After the removal of the head, I'll cover block with a clean plastic sheet and close the bonnet. Take the head to my flat and check the valves for leaks.

The reason I'm bent on doing (at least the cam belt replacement and head removal) this myself is, I don't trust the garage guys to be clean, careful and practice safety in this region. I have seen how they work. But there are great garages that do exotic cars. They are super clean and safe and the price too goes with it. :)

However, since I have support from you guys, I think I should be able to manage this work.