Engine cranking, no start, cam sprockets not turning

Anything related to the 206CC
wizlinkx

Re: Engine cranking, no start, cam sprockets not turning

Post by wizlinkx »

gazza82 wrote:
wizlinkx wrote:Then think about how to put in a refurbished 2.0l in there if I can get one.
Don't bother unless you fancy changing a lot of other parts including ecu/bsi/wiring, exhaust, and poss gearbox. Plus upgraded brakes, suspension arms, ....
Yes, I think that's bad idea. Not that I love to do it. I just don't have the time like 10 years ago :).
2006 206CC TU5JP4 NFU, 1.6l, 16v engine, Tiptronic, 184.000 Kilometers, Automatic A/C.

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

Get this one running again ... and enjoy it!
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

wizlinkx

Post by wizlinkx »

Yes, certainly will have fun doing the repair work.

Love troubleshooting.

Thanks.
2006 206CC TU5JP4 NFU, 1.6l, 16v engine, Tiptronic, 184.000 Kilometers, Automatic A/C.

wizlinkx

Post by wizlinkx »

Wow, struggling to get the exhaust cover out. Removed the radiator. Still with the A/C pipes and the condenser its not coming off the engine bay. But I still can remove the exhaust nuts, then remove the head.

The exhaust and intake manifold bolts and nuts are all rusted. Sprayed some WD40 and the nuts of the exhaust broke lose with very little effort.

I don't have the proper sized socket extension to reach the intake manifold nuts, so will take the head out with it in place and then remove it.

wizlinkx

Post by wizlinkx »

Does anyone know how to get the steering pump out of the way?

I'm unable to access the exhaust manifold mounting nut hidden behind the steering pump. Even the flexible extender can't reach it. The cat mounting nuts are really tight. WD40 is unable to do anything. I'm afraid to put too much pressure. It can slip and turn to a nice round and that's it :D .

I'v taken out the radiator and the heat shield.

Intake manifold came out pretty easily.

Appreciate your help.

Edit:

Power steering pump removed.

By the looks of it I think I have get the cat mount nuts out to get the head out.

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

You should be able to move exhaust manifold forward enough to remove head if you cant undo the cat
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

Take the manifold studs out. Should be posdible with a torx socket as the ends are shaped
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

wizlinkx

Post by wizlinkx »

Thanks guys.

Since my last post, managed to get the cat nuts out :D .
Lifted the engine a bit more and the cat came out easily.

Today, while loosening the head bolts I hit a brick wall. My E14 Torx socket couldn't go thru the left most head bolt access. The cam lobes there were blocking it, and the machining had not left enough allowance. So, removed the cam shafts, and got those bolts out.

Removed the head and I could see both exhaust valves of cylinder 3 bent real bad. The others looked good.
So poured white spirits on all others. Found intake valves of cylinders 1 and 2, slightly leaking, and exhaust valves of cylinder 2 and 4 too are slightly leaking.

So all in all, I'd have to replace the two bent ones and try getting the others polished along with the head.

What are your comments?

Slo

Post by Slo »

You will have to replace any that leak, you cant polish out a slight leak, bottom line is if it leaks its bent. Check the valve guides very carefully for damage and cracking, it can be hard to spot cracks and if you overlook it and it leaks oil it wont be pleasant.
Don't forget the valve clearances too, it's not just a case of out with the old and in with the new.
2003 03'reg Peugeot 206cc 1997cc Manual

wizlinkx

Post by wizlinkx »

Thanks Sio.

Got it.

I found the teeth of the CAM belt broken right at the crank gear. about 1 and 1/2 to 2 inches length of teeth gone in a row. Nothing in between.

So the cams would have stopped working immediately minimizing damage to other valves, just my guess.
When I pour the white spirits, it doesn't come out immediately. Take about 30 seconds or more. I can see it gets wet around the valve. Not pouring out. So I guessed it could be because of carbon build over the years. But I could be wrong.

I have good mind to buy a valve spring press and do the replacing myself. Not sure If I can be accurate in putting the valve stoppers in place. Also not certain if I can get the proper tool over here.

I was wondering if Brake Cleaner is ok to clean up the carbon on the cylinders? Or the WD40 Trigger Pro Non-Aerosol one? Thank you.

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Have you got valve contact marks on top of any other pistons?
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.

wizlinkx

Post by wizlinkx »

Not on the other cylinders.

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Replace the 2 bent ones and lap all the valves in (including the new ones) then re test for leaks with white spirit.
I'm surprised you only bent 2 valves though.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

wizlinkx

Post by wizlinkx »

Thanks Capncol.

I'll be taking the head to a lethe shop here, where they do all sorts of work on engines.
Pressure testing, replacing valves, lapping, porting, polishing, etc.
My wireless drill is broken. Clutch is slipping. Need to get new one.
I'll have give to the lethe shop for this work.

Will keep posted of the progress.

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Drill? You don't need a drill https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161675818925
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)