Key situation. Suggestions?

Anything related to the 206CC
George 206cc

Key situation. Suggestions?

Post by George 206cc »

Hi all,

When I bought the car, 206cc 1.6L petrol Allure, it came with 2 keys. Sort of. The main key works fine. Again, sort of....

My main key in ordinary conditions works fine. Unlocks doors and starts engine. When it's really cold though, about 2 degrees, it often refuses to unlock or lock the doors remotely. It's not all the time when that cold, but sometimes. What's that about?

The bigger problem though is my spare key.
It will start the engine but won't unlock or lock the doors. I read somewhere that there's two chips in the key, one for each job, doors and engine. I read somewhere that it's possible for one of the chips, the door one, to just fall out and get lost. Is it possible that's what's happened to my engine one at some point over the years? It does have some tape around it when I bought it...

Can I get a new key and programme it myself with PP2000? But I don't have the security card with the code.

Any thoughts on the matter? Suggestions of things I could do to improve my key situation?

Thanks,

George

IanL

Re: Key situation. Suggestions?

Post by IanL »

The main key probably has a low battery - cold weather is often a challenge in that case.

The immobiliser chip is the little thing which sometimes is lost. The electronic package (circuit board) contains the transmitter that does the locks, and that contains the battery, which could be totally duff. So step one is to change the battery and see if it works. If it does not, there is a resync process detailed in the handbook. If you don't have the handbook, go to http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ddb/ and choose English, 206cc and date band for the car.

If that does not work, it could be the buttons. They can be changed if you are very skilled with a miniature soldering iron. New buttons on EBay, of course. If that doesn't work, the board is probably duff, and you would need a new keyfob (not a 2nd-hand one - they cannot be repurposed to another car), which would have to be programmed to the car with Peugeot Planet, and you WILL need the security code for that - most dealers change something like £20 just for the code, or upwards of £120 for the code, the new fob and the programming. You can get a new fob on line, but there are four different parts which look identical, depending on age of the car and whether it has front fogs (yes!), so you have to get it by the Peugeot part number. If you want the part number for your car, I can look it up with the last eight digits of your VIN. If you buy a Chinese clone, you are playing roulette, and the house usually wins :(

George 206cc

Post by George 206cc »

Okay so for the main key, I could change the battery then reprogram/resync (same thing?) using the method in the handbook, which is just pressing buttons in a particular order and timing essentially, right? I wouldn't need that security code or PP2000 for this?

And the spare, are you supposing the battery in it could need changing based on that it may strong enough to turn on the engine but not strong enough to unlock the doors? That'd make sense.

If I need a new keyfob, we need is the VIN, then peugeot part number, buy the new fob online (how much?), then also buy the security code from a peugeot dealer for £20, then how would I sync the new key with the car?

Thanks for your help

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

The battery is only used for remote lock/unlock, not for the imobiliser.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

George 206cc

Post by George 206cc »

I just opened up the spare key and tested the battery with a multi-meter. It's still fully charged!

Looks like I need a new key fob, right?

If I need a new keyfob, we need is the VIN, then peugeot part number, buy the new fob online (how much?), then also buy the security code from a peugeot dealer for £20, then how would I sync the new key with the car?

IanL

Post by IanL »

The new battery in the main key will probably not need resynching, but if it does, it would not need the security code and/or PP2000, as you said.

Programming is different, and is required if a new keyfob is introduced, or if the BSI has lost its memory of a key which previously worked. It is done with PP2000 and the security code. Note that the process with a new key involves one-time writing to the key (which is why a key cannot be repurposed) and writing to the BSI. If the BSI has lost its memory of the keys, the writing is only to the BSI, of course.

All keys have to be included in the programming process, because it clears previous entries in the BSI.

As I said, the buttons on the module may be defective, and can be replaced, which would be cheaper than a new fob. Of course it's a gamble.

As Capncol said, the immobiliser chip is not connected to the battery, and is powered by the interrogation signal issued by the car. It is a small plastic part clipped into one shell of the fob. If it is lost, the module is useless and must be replaced, because a replacement chip can only be programmed in conjunction with a "virgin" module.

For price of new fob see http://www.car-keys-online.com/category ... motes.html. Note he only has two of the four types - take the dates with a pinch of salt - the type did not change on Jan 1st, and the date depends on the factory in which the car was built. At least you will not need the key cut, as the blade can be swapped to the new fob.

For programming, either buy your own PP2000 with Lexia interface on EBay (you will need a 32-bit Windows PC - XP SP3 is favourite), get someone who already has one to do it - see here, a car locksmith or a dealer.