Need assistance with major service

Anything related to the 206CC
gpktm

Need assistance with major service

Post by gpktm »

Hi everyone

I'm planning to do a major service plus a repair and I need some guidance along the process. Apart from changing the oil and oil filter on this car I never attempted anything else, I tried to advise some manual that I've found online but it doesn't look much clear. My car is 2006 Peugeot 206cc 1.6L 16V NFU TU5JP4

I'm planning to do the following:
- Replacement of broken thermostat housing (repair)
- Replacement of transmission fluid
- Replacement of spark plugs

- Replacement of engine oil and oil filter
- Flush and replacement of engine coolant
- Repair of electrical fault in MFD (Multifunction Display)

I will start with the thermostat housing since is the reason why I stripped few parts and decided to go ahead doing the service. So three weeks back I noticed a major leak after I arrived home and after stripping few parts I've noticed that the thermostat housing was cracked together with the rubber seal, so I've ordered a new one and after a couple of weeks of waiting and a week delay on my behalf the time came for replacement.

I've bolted the new thermostat housing onto the engine block and after checking on the net, I came accross this video which showing the replacement on a C3 but with the same engine and the guy is bleeding the cooling line by opening a valve on the housing and also opening the valve in the heater matrix.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUv6idr ... 5016778232

My two questions here are:
Is that all I have to do in order to bleed the cooling system? I never done it in a pressurized system before.
And the second question, does anyone know how much torque I should apply when I'm screwing on the thermostat housing? The guy in the video mentions but is in Russian so is hard to understand.
Last edited by gpktm on Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

gpktm

Re: Need assistance with major service

Post by gpktm »

I think I've found one of the answers myself. Is this referring to the thermostat housing? I can see at the bottom says 1.0daNm which is 10Nm.

repair-206/206/info/gb/B1KT00K3.HTM

IanL

Post by IanL »

Bleeding is done with the cap off the reservoir, so the system is not pressurised durning the process.

The procedure is here.

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

On some there are small valves in the top corner of the rads and also built-into the hoses ... they just need opening gently with a screwdriver .. but that might be model based.

The other item to consider is a big one .. cam belt .. any ideas when (or if) it was last changed? The book says 10 years but having had one fail on a car at 6 (and the renewal period was 6!) I'm reluctant to leave any cam belt that long now.

The MFD might be simply bulbs or dry-joints .. I had one where the pins that connect the two boards to one another at 90 degrees had come loose and the display failed. Soldered the pins back and it was still working when we sold it. If you do decide to swap this out there are two types: non-plex and plex or multiplex and they are not swappable. Your car is probably plex being a 2006 ...
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

gpktm

Post by gpktm »

gazza82 wrote:On some there are small valves in the top corner of the rads and also built-into the hoses ... they just need opening gently with a screwdriver .. but that might be model based.

The other item to consider is a big one .. cam belt .. any ideas when (or if) it was last changed? The book says 10 years but having had one fail on a car at 6 (and the renewal period was 6!) I'm reluctant to leave any cam belt that long now.

The MFD might be simply bulbs or dry-joints .. I had one where the pins that connect the two boards to one another at 90 degrees had come loose and the display failed. Soldered the pins back and it was still working when we sold it. If you do decide to swap this out there are two types: non-plex and plex or multiplex and they are not swappable. Your car is probably plex being a 2006 ...
There are a couple of valves, one on the housing and one on the hose where the water goes in the cabin (before the heater matrix). I will just open them a bit to get the air out, from what I know, this is the way its done. More likely he used the tubes because he removed the screw caps completely and he didn't want to make a mess.

The cam belt is something beyond my skills I believe, I'm not going to touch it. Believe me I know what you are saying. I've learned it the hard way. I've wrecked an engine already, this engine is from another car. I replaced the whole engine two years back and I will go to a workshop to replace the cam belt next years cause I'm doing at least 25000kms per year.

You can see here when I was inspecting the cylinder chambers to see if something was damaged inside. By the looks of it, there were some knocking marks on the piston heads. Thus I replaced the whole engine since the mechanic told me that he can replace the whole engine for less rather than repairing the existing one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aWpW2PaPB4

gpktm

Post by gpktm »

Done with the coolant and the thermostat housing. Next thing on the list is the engine oil and oil filter.

I was thinking, it would be good if I take some photos during the process, that could help others in the future too. Is a pity I didn't think about in the first place. I'll do it for the next things on the list.

For the engine oil replacement, I will wait until tomorrow so I can go buy a gasket for the oil drain plug.

gpktm

Post by gpktm »

Question. Do I need to apply any sealant between the thermostat housing and the engine block or the rubber gasket does the job?

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

Rubber gasket will be fine. Clean the face of the engine well first
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

gpktm

Post by gpktm »

Done with the engine oil and filter change. Now, is there any good source where I can find instructions about changing the transmission fluid? The service manual does not help at all.

IanL

Post by IanL »

If you go to the Portal page of this site, and choose 206cc Repair Guide from the Menu, then Mechanical/Transmission/Gearbox, then scroll down the topics, you will find Drain and Refill MA Gearbox, and also AL4 gearbox. Hopefully, yours is one of those. The information comes from the Peugeot Service Box, but some of it is hard to find, and bits may be out-of-date or relevant only to earlier cars.

There are very comprehensive illustrated Parts listings and Repair Procedures published in the Peugeot Service Box. You can login, but you have to pretend to be an independent garage, and the procedures are pay-to-view. You can get the whole thing, plus the SEDRE (interactive wiring diagrams), here for £9.99. Do not click the blue rectangles - they lead to the expensive stuff, but scroll down below them. You can choose any model, and you get the full databases for all the cars listed. The great thing is that, if you put the last eight digits of your VIN into the Service Box on startup, instead of selecting model and engine, the database only serves up the data relevant to your car.

You can also get disks with the same content on EBay, but they involve cracks which are tricky to get working, and you never know what viruses, etc may be on the disks. The eManuals are from a reputable source, and the databases are pre-installed in virtual machine format, using a free player to "play" them. Highly recommended, usual disclaimer.

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

gpktm wrote:Hi everyone

I'm planning to do a major service plus a repair and I need some guidance along the process. Apart from changing the oil and oil filter on this car I never attempted anything else, I tried to advise some manual that I've found online but it doesn't look much clear. My car is 2006 Peugeot 206cc 1.6L 16V NFU TU5JP4

I will start with the thermostat housing since is the reason why I stripped few parts and decided to go ahead doing the service. So three weeks back I noticed a major leak after I arrived home and after stripping few parts I've noticed that the thermostat housing was cracked together with the rubber seal, so I've ordered a new one and after a couple of weeks of waiting and a week delay on my behalf the time came for replacement.

I've bolted the new thermostat housing onto the engine block and after checking on the net, I came accross this video which showing the replacement on a C3 but with the same engine and the guy is bleeding the cooling line by opening a valve on the housing and also opening the valve in the heater matrix.

Is that all I have to do in order to bleed the cooling system? I never done it in a pressurized system before.
And the second question, does anyone know how much torque I should apply when I'm screwing on the thermostat housing? The guy in the video mentions but is in Russian so is hard to understand.
There is more to that in a major service. post your mileage and I will post the service schedule.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

gpktm

Post by gpktm »

Capncol wrote:
gpktm wrote:Hi everyone

There is more to that in a major service. post your mileage and I will post the service schedule.
I know Capncol. I wouldn't call it an official major service. I wrote it this way just because there are things involved more than just changing engine oil and filter. I'm guessing cam-belt is one of the things included, but mine needs to be done next year. I think I'm at 246,400kms now.

gpktm

Post by gpktm »

IanL wrote:If you go to the Portal page of this site, and choose 206cc Repair Guide from the Menu, then Mechanical/Transmission/Gearbox, then scroll down the topics, you will find Drain and Refill MA Gearbox, and also AL4 gearbox. Hopefully, yours is one of those. The information comes from the Peugeot Service Box, but some of it is hard to find, and bits may be out-of-date or relevant only to earlier cars.

There are very comprehensive illustrated Parts listings and Repair Procedures published in the Peugeot Service Box. You can login, but you have to pretend to be an independent garage, and the procedures are pay-to-view. You can get the whole thing, plus the SEDRE (interactive wiring diagrams), here for £9.99. Do not click the blue rectangles - they lead to the expensive stuff, but scroll down below them. You can choose any model, and you get the full databases for all the cars listed. The great thing is that, if you put the last eight digits of your VIN into the Service Box on startup, instead of selecting model and engine, the database only serves up the data relevant to your car.

You can also get disks with the same content on EBay, but they involve cracks which are tricky to get working, and you never know what viruses, etc may be on the disks. The eManuals are from a reputable source, and the databases are pre-installed in virtual machine format, using a free player to "play" them. Highly recommended, usual disclaimer.
OK thanks IanL. I don't mind paying as long as the content is helpful. I'll give a go to all of the options that your proposed and I'll see what suits me better. Cheers!

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Here is the Schedule. You also need to replace brake fluid every 2 years and Cambelt 10years/80000miles
pg1.JPG
pg2.JPG
pg3.JPG
pg4.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.