Cleaning roof rubbers

Anything related to the 206CC
GazWaz

Cleaning roof rubbers

Post by GazWaz »

Good morning all,

We've had our 55 Plate 206cc 1.6 now for about a month and we love it. We also have a 2008 as our main car but since the 206 came along the 2008 has been sat on the drive. It's nice to drive something where you can actually feel the road again.

Anyway, We've spent a lot of time and a bit of cash cleaning it up and it's looking nearly factory clean. We've used the Autoglym Vinyl & Rubber Care on all the rubber we can get to but there's quite a few bits that can't be accessed with roof up or down.

I suppose my question is, can I release the roof button when the rood is half way up? I've obviously not tried it in fear of getting into a tiz with the roof stuck half way. If I did this would the roof just continue the cycle once I've cleaned everything.

Also, on a slightly different note, we have two keys for the car but one of the keys wont start the car. It will unlock and lock everything and the car turns over but it just wont start it. The main key is fine.

Thanks all

Gary

IanL

Re: Cleaning roof rubbers

Post by IanL »

I think stopping the roof halfway for an appreciably time is a bit of a risk, but a few seconds is ok. I suggest you start with it down, and follow the procedure for putting it up manually - it's in the handbook and there are lots of demos on YouTube.

The key that won't start the car may have been "forgotten" by the BSI. It can be "re-introduced" by using Peugeot Planet 2000 if there is nothing wrong with it, but if it has the wrong transponder, or the transponder is missing (it's a small plastic "chip", usually black, clipped into the case back) then the only way ahead is a new keyfob with a virgin module and transponder, and you can re-use the blade.

GazWaz

Post by GazWaz »

Thanks IanL,

I've been watching all the youtube clips. If it's not a good idea to stop the roof half way I think your method is the best way to go.

I'm hoping we have a good one. It's really clean both inside and out. There's white grease all over the roof mechanism so it looks like it's been serviced recently. All the others I've looked at have been black and dusty.

IanL

Post by IanL »

Sounds great :)

This post may help with the key.

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

A possibility is the second is missing the immobiliser chip.
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo