Handbrake not holding

Anything related to the 206CC
Litcho1949

Handbrake not holding

Post by Litcho1949 »

Hi Everyone,
My daughter has a 2004 206cc 1.6 ltr, the problem is, the handbrake doesn't hold, I have taken the rear brakes to bits and freed off all the relevent parts and adjusted the hand brake as per the manual, but when applied, no matter how much the handbrake is applied it doesn't hold. I have adjusted it both ways I.E. with plenty of free play and with hardly any free play, but still nothing works.
Any information would be much appreciated.
Regards Litcho.

Capncol

Re: Handbrake not holding

Post by Capncol »

Sure the calipers haven't seized?
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

Litcho1949

Post by Litcho1949 »

Sorry for the delay in replying.
The calipers seem ok, have renewed the discs and pads and adjusted the handbrake as per the manual. The h/brake is still rubbish will only hold when you press the foot brake and then you can get a further notch on the h/brake, although it still doesn't feel right.

IanL

Post by IanL »

When you say it doesn't hold, do you mean it won't hold the car on a slope, or it won't stop the car moving against the engine?

Mine will do the former, but not the latter. I think that's just the way it is.

mikemclaren

Post by mikemclaren »

Hi
I'v got the same issue. No pads and disks on the back of a 2006 206cc. The mechanism functions as it should, the pads grip the disks but the parking brake simply won't hold the car on any thing over the slightest incline. I do remember issues with Citroen Xantias where the parking brake operated on the front wheels. Citroen came out with a fix to make a virtually non working parking brake into a very poor parking brake. Surely not all Pug 206 parking brakes are pants? Where any fixes issued?

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

New calipers and or handbrake cables should cure it if you've replaced the discs and pads with the correct items. I take it you did wind back the pistons? Did they feel free or were they partially seized?
Ron
"If it ain't broke don't fix it!"
Golf 1.5 Tsi Evo SE Nav Estate Atlantic Blue
Polo 1.0 SEL DSG Reef Blue (wife's)
(Previously owned a 2005 206CC 1.6 Allure Moonstone for 10 years)

Luditus

Post by Luditus »

I put up with this problem for over a year (not much fun with an automatic), despite garage replacing discs and pads and doing all the adjustments. Then a clever MOT man spotted a bit of rust on a cable at the handbrake lever end. Removal of the cable showed that it was badly corroded under the bellows, and a number of strands had gone completely. Needless to say, new cables restored a brilliant handbrake. No more standing on the pedal at traffic lights. :)