Anyone had problems with sat navs in their 206cc?

Anything related to the 206CC
Skezza

Anyone had problems with sat navs in their 206cc?

Post by Skezza »

I bought my missus a vent cradle for her sat nav at Christmas as she stopped using it because she lost the suction mount. Immediately, I noticed the sat nav had real trouble when mounted in the car. If it had no satellite lock when getting in the car, it might never pick any up at all. I decided that her sat nav was old and perhaps worn out so bought a second hand 'better' one. Same problem.

I decided the vent cradle probably wasn't helping as the view of the sky is restricted so bought a suction cup. Same problem. Put my phone in. Better (probably thanks to A-GPS) but still not right and the lock was bouncing.

Does the 206cc have an athermic windscreen? Or a thicker piece of glass?

I experimented this morning sat by the passenger door it had no problem getting 5 or 6 satellite locks but as soon as mounted in the cradle the signal strength dropped to non existent.

IanL

Re: Anyone had problems with sat navs in their 206cc?

Post by IanL »

Does either of the units have provision for an exterior aerial?

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

No probs with my tomtom one on windscreen suction mount, and tomtom on mobile phone works fine propped up in the storage compartment in front of the gear lever
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

Skezza

Post by Skezza »

IanL wrote:Does either of the units have provision for an exterior aerial?
The newer one does yes. I was very close to buying an exterior aerial for it, they're only a few pounds, but figured that the mount might help. Perhaps i'll give the exterior aerial a go, but I'm not all that keen about sticking it on the roof of the car or something. Maybe an exterior aerial alone will be enough. It's not something I've had to do before to be fair.

The only other thing I can think of then is that the head unit or something is interfering. It's a crappy JVC aftermarket one fitted by the previous owner. Sounds bizarre I know, but the only other time I've had problems with sat nav was with the power adapter for a dash cam in my old car. That would cause all GPS devices to go absolutely haywire, quite similar to this really. Holding the sat nav in the passenger seat results in it immediately picking up 6 or 7 satellites and perfect reception.

Perhaps it's something similar to the issue I had with the dash cam? I will experiment later with putting the sat nav to the right hand side of the windscreen rather than the centre.

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

If there is any sort of film on the windscreen, that can block the signal. We can't put the tomtom on the screen of the Clio .. we have to stick it to a side window!

I always use ours in the right lower corner of the 206 ..
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

Skezza

Post by Skezza »

gazza82 wrote:If there is any sort of film on the windscreen, that can block the signal. We can't put the tomtom on the screen of the Clio .. we have to stick it to a side window!

I always use ours in the right lower corner of the 206 ..
Thanks for that gazza. I never got round to giving it a go. Will try tonight.