Replacing a broken cigarette lighter

Anything related to the 206CC
hawnet

Replacing a broken cigarette lighter

Post by hawnet »

I have searched but cannot find this topic, it seems like it may be involved but do we have the knowledge in this forum please?

:big-grin:
2005, 206cc, silver, allure.

Luditus

Re: Replacing a broken cigarette lighter

Post by Luditus »

If the ash tray still illuminates, then its not a fuse problem. If the element is closed circuit, then its centre console out - never done it - and don't want to! Good Luck.

hawnet

Post by hawnet »

cheers, when the sat nav plugs into the lighter socket the light on the charging lead doesn't light up until its wiggled, then it goes out...if you look into the lighter socket its got crud and gunge in the bottom and the orange plasticsurround is broken too, so I am guessing its consol out time.

iooiuk

Post by iooiuk »

Another option would be. If you do not use the ashtray. To mount a lighter socket in there. Wires should run underneath it. So you should be able to get at them and add it into the space.
Or cut a hole in the console on one side and add one in there.

hawnet

Post by hawnet »

cheers i00iuk, I googled it and found that somebody has done a step by step guide in a 206, I am sure they will be the same but am reluctant to start fiddling yet, I will try and clean it out first as I believe its a contact problem but will replace it in the future. It looks like I can prise out the window switches and the gear lever cover with a small screw driver and a bit of cloth to avoid scratches, then i will see what holds the lighter into place, it also means disconnecting the battery-and i cannot be bothered to do that during the week as I work.
I will do it though.

Deanne

Post by Deanne »

Pugs replacement lighter was costly so got one for 25pence from a 206 hatchback at the car dump, my friend changed it for me, he managed to do it without removing the main housing.

SmilieStu

Post by SmilieStu »

Replacing the cigar lighter in the 206cc without removing the centre console is relatively easy. Replaced my non-working one last Friday with a new one in a few minutes. If anybody needs a step-by-step, I will be happy to compile one.
206cc SE 2.0 2003 (Aluminium Silver)

tenpole

Post by tenpole »

Go for it SmilieStu. I might take mine out and see if I can wire a usb charger in the socket.
206cc 1.6 2002 Silver.
L200 2.4 Forlife (wifes)
CB 400/4 (garaged for 15 years)

SmilieStu

Re: Replacing a broken cigarette lighter (HOW TO)

Post by SmilieStu »

REMOVAL/REFITTING OF CIGARETTE LIGHTHER (without removing centre console)

Before attempting to remove the lighter socket it is important to understand how the 3 parts of the socket interact. This understanding will make it much easier than trying to force removal of the parts.

Time Required: 5-30mins (depending on experience!)
Tools required: 1 small (or precision) flat-head screwdriver or other similar tool

NOTE: When I did this, I did not disconnect the battery. Although I did not have any issues, clarification on correct procedure would be welcomed.

Step 1 - Understanding the Lighter Socket
Lighter Assembly.jpg
  1. The lighter socket is made up of 3 parts; (1) the inner sleeve, where the lighter part (or 12v adapter) is inserted, (2) the outer illuminated plastic sleeve and (3) the bulb/holder
  2. The top of the bulb holder clips on to the side of the illuminated outer sleeve.
  3. The inner sleeve slides into the outer sleeve and into the base of the bulb holder.
  4. There are 2 electrical contacts on the bulb holder, the top one sits against the inner sleeve and the bottom one connects to the metal strip on the black plastic base of the inner sleeve, once the inner sleeve is fully inserted into the illuminated outer sleeve.
  5. The 12v electrical connector to the lighter socket is connected to the black plastic housing at the base of the inner sleeve.
  6. The inner sleeve is secured to the outer sleeve by 2 holes in the metal inner sleeve where small nipples in the outer illuminated sleeve, clip in.
Step 2 - Removal
Socket Removal.jpg
  1. Unclip the gear lever boot by gently pulling the top rim downwards and upwards. This will provide access to the lighter socket.
  2. Dislodge, by pushing outwards with a small screwdriver, both securing nipples located on the inside of the metal inner sleeve.
    • This step can be fiddly.
    • If you are totally replacing the lighter (as I was), then just insert 2 small precision screwdrivers fully into the retaining holes (this may bend the inside of the sleeve holes).
    • If you wish to reuse the socket, then apply upwards pressure to the inner sleeve while gently pushing each nipple outwards in turn (so not to break the outer sleeve). To apply the upwards pressure:
      • insert fingers into the access provided by removing the gear stick cover
      • push upwards on the lighter socket electrical connector (you will have to feel for this - see picture)
  3. Once released, fully push the the inner sleeve upwards and remove from the inner sleeve.
  4. Disconnect the 12v connector from the base of the socket (depress the button on the side of the connector, then pull to remove).
  5. Remove the outer illuminated sleeve by gently easing out of the hole in the centre console. The bulb holder will be connected to the sleeve.
Step 3 - Refitting
  1. Ensure that the bulb holder is clipped and secured to the outer sleeve.
  2. Insert the outer sleeve/bulb holder into the hole in the centre console paying attention to the notch in the hole, aligning it with the retaining clip on the outer sleeve.
  3. Guide the 12v connector up through the centre of the outer sleeve and connect to the inner sleeve.
  4. Ensuring correct line up of the electrical connector in the black plastic part of the inner sleeve, partially insert the inner sleeve into the outer sleeve.
  5. Placing fingers through the gear stick boot access, support the side of the bulb holder. This is to ensure that the clips of the base of the holder, slide into the recesses on the black base of the inner sleeve.
  6. Fully depress the inner sleeve into the outer sleeve. The locking nipples will clip into the holes in the inner sleeve to secure the unit.
  7. Refit the gear stick boot in reverse to removal (bottom first), ensuring that it is clipped securely in place.
A bit of patience is required, especially if you have large fingers! Be gentle and things should be fine. Good Luck!

Stu
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
206cc SE 2.0 2003 (Aluminium Silver)

tenpole

Post by tenpole »

This is a tidy piece of work, well explained with good diagrams. Nicely done.
206cc 1.6 2002 Silver.
L200 2.4 Forlife (wifes)
CB 400/4 (garaged for 15 years)

yelpir

Post by yelpir »

Excellent instructions SmilieStu

I've just replaced mine in a little over half an hour. Fiddliest bit was getting the inner sleeve out from the outer illuminated plastic sleeve. I think it was basically stuck from being in there so long. But as I was replacing the whole thing I didn't have to worry about damaging it.

Cheers :)

El_Diablo

Post by El_Diablo »

Hi, I'm new to this forum and new to the 206cc, I have just bought one for my daughter. I am in the pocess of doing various jobs on it, replacing bits, gas struts, fitting CCTV etc. The cigarette lighter is dodgy, you have to angle the plug to one side for it to work. I have bought a replacement and read the instructions here but my problem is my car is an automatic. I have searched this forum for automatic gearshift plate removal and other similar things but not found anything. Can anyone tell me where to find how to remove the chrome plate at the bottom of the automatic gearshift? I have got the plastic surround off no problem.

IanL

Post by IanL »

I believe you remove in this order:

Knob (clipped)
Center Console
Connector support at the rear of the grid
Switches (in the grid)
Unclip the grid

I have not done this, but that is what the Service Box says.

El_Diablo

Post by El_Diablo »

Thank you, I will try that this weekend.

El_Diablo

Post by El_Diablo »

I did it, I removed the electric window switches thing behind the cig lighter and managed to get my sausage fingers in through that side. Bit fiddly but did it eventually.