Questions from the newbie

Anything related to the 206CC
hawnet

Questions from the newbie

Post by hawnet »

I am going to number them :big-grin:
1. What colour is my car...EZR
2. Should I buy an OE oil filter
3. Is it easy to change the air filter and should I go OE or after market e.g. Mann
4. Has the squealing brakes issue been erradicated
5. 195/55r/15 tyre on the B pillar, is this good or is there a better size
6. Are those puncture repair cans any good
7. Need a new key fob battery are these special or get them from any tom jack or harry

thanks in advance.

:thumbs:
2005, 206cc, silver, allure.

Capncol

Re: Questions from the newbie

Post by Capncol »

hawnet wrote:I am going to number them :big-grin:
1. What colour is my car...EZR Er........Silver
2. Should I buy an OE oil filter Yes or a good known brand Mann/Mahle/Coopers etc:
3. Is it easy to change the air filter and should I go OE or after market e.g. Mann Yes / see above
4. Has the squealing brakes issue been erradicated Use good quality components and they are fine
5. 195/55r/15 tyre on the B pillar, is this good or is there a better size Stick with the recommended
6. Are those puncture repair cans any good Depends on the puncture- Nail in tyre = fine/ Sidewall blowout = no good
7. Need a new key fob battery are these special or get them from any tom jack or harry Halfords stock them

thanks in advance.

:thumbs:
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

hawnet

Post by hawnet »

Thank you very much, I couldn't find EZR i thought it may be some fancy type of silver but i am glad it's just silver lol. As i just acquired this car i was going to buy OE to treat it and get the good oil too just for peace of mind, it doesn't hurt does it. I read your post about the space saver wheel and i will go for one of those as its definitely peace of mind and virtually guarantees getting to the tyre fitters. And i have to replace the rear pads as they are very low and the handbrake isn't very good so i will go for OE there too I guess. This brings me to the clutch, the pedal is all the way up to the very top so i am guessing it needs replacing, should I go for OE there or use aftermarket like Lux?

thanks again

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

1. Paint codes are here http://www.peugeot206cc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11359
Look under GREY/SILVER: EZR is Aluminium
2. After market oil filters have been known to collapse causing low oil pressure so I always buy a genuine filter.
3. The air filter is fairly easy to change but do ensure that you get the housing together correctly and tight. I always buy the OE filter because it fits perfectly and, changed every 40,000 miles is not expensive. An incorrectly fitted housing cover can let wet in during rainy weather and can soak the element in water. Renders it useless and will stop the car running.
4. Mine don't squeal but it is still on the original discs and pads.
5. Again my tyres are still original and the car drives and handles well on that size. Important to use quality tyres. Mine is on Continentals.
6. Never used them. I bought a space saver spare off eBay. Used it once when I had a flat.
7. http://www.peugeot206cc.co.uk/viewtopic ... 8&p=123250 I use genuine Duracell or Energizer CR2016. Make sure that you do not touch the battery with your fingers when fitting ... I get mine off an eBay seller - gogreenuk. Have used them often, good quality, good prices and quick delivery.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-Energizer ... 43aff28eca However Wilkinsons will sell them as well as other local stores.
Ron
"If it ain't broke don't fix it!"
Golf 1.5 Tsi Evo SE Nav Estate Atlantic Blue
Polo 1.0 SEL DSG Reef Blue (wife's)
(Previously owned a 2005 206CC 1.6 Allure Moonstone for 10 years)

hawnet

Post by hawnet »

Cheers guys you are really helpful and convinced me to go OE, I want to look after this little car as its fun and i want it to last, or at least be looked after.

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

I use Valeo or Luk on these usually. (I think Valeo is OE, but don't take it as gospel)
Not had any problems with either.

If you are changing pads, then change the brake fluid too if it's not been done in a while.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

hawnet

Post by hawnet »

So today I parted with a bit of wedge, I got the chrome seat hoops and the wind buffer stopper thing and all the service items inc rear pads (all O/E) and even bought the total 9000 5w40 oil, and 2 new bosch wipers. And I am now going to buy the brake fluid and save for the new clutch. Oh and i bought a space saver wheel and tyre.
I will be looking for nice ally rim to replace the 1 doggy rim I have, then I am going to think about getting the whole car mopped and touched up then and only then will I stop and relax. I do also have to buy 2 new number plate lamps as mine are either broken or have the lens missing. Oh and then I will upgrade the speakers then that's it. And breathe.

tenpole

Post by tenpole »

Read the thread on the number plate light removal and follow the instructions given else you may break the cover.
206cc 1.6 2002 Silver.
L200 2.4 Forlife (wifes)
CB 400/4 (garaged for 15 years)

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

The springs that hold the wiper blades down onto the windscreen are strong and I had to replace the wiper blades at 3 years old because they had flattened and were "graunching". Since then I have always pulled the blades up away from the screen when parking the car in our garage. It probably looks a bit odd to anyone else but I do it as a matter of routine now when putting the car away. The car is 10 years old and still on the second pair of blades which remain in good condition. If I didn't keep the car in a garage then I don't think I would do this as it would probably invite vandalism.
Ron

IanL

Post by IanL »

Regarding the spacesaver spare, my CC has the JBL soundbox in the boot. Will the spacesaver still fit?

hawnet

Post by hawnet »

i dont know is the simple answer, but thanks for the heads up

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

Our space-saver spare sits safely belted in behind the driver's seat in a sturdy black bag. We have the wind deflector in place most of the time so it is well hidden there. If we do have two rear seat passengers, which is rare, only then do we pop the spare in the boot. We don't have a soundbox in there though.
Ron

bertie1

Post by bertie1 »

both my cars have full size spares wouldnt trust space savers myself
my fleet::: 2x peugeot 206cc 2.0 si6 mercedes sl aston martin db9 volante 1937 ford model y hotrod range rover

hawnet

Post by hawnet »

I would sooner have the space saver and get to the closest tyre repair geezer asap than rely on the cans of muck to be honest.

hawnet

Post by hawnet »

space saver fits nicely in the boot, :O)