power steering noise

Anything related to the 206CC
Jo7

power steering noise

Post by Jo7 »

When I turn my steering to the left I get a like scouring noise, could this be by power steering, also I have noticed oil on floor where car has been, oil pressure showing on car dash full. :( :(

Capncol

Re: power steering noise

Post by Capncol »

Check power steering fluid level
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

Jo7

Post by Jo7 »

Hi col,
Is it easy to replace, or should I get the AA out to do it.
Jo

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Easy DIY. Details are in owners manual (You can download it from this site)
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.

Jo7

Post by Jo7 »

Col, Thanks for the input , got the AA out in the end , and Yes the power steering reservoir was empty, poss slight leak , now topped up fully by AA, and booked. In to garage Tuesday, I must say how great the AA are , even changed the remote battery for nothing, glad I have the service, hoping now that my parts and labour with the AA will cover replace of system.

Thanks again

Jo

tenpole

Post by tenpole »

I still have not checked my power steering reservoir yet as Capncol advised but then I have not seen it bouncing down the road in my rear view mirror.
206cc 1.6 2002 Silver.
L200 2.4 Forlife (wifes)
CB 400/4 (garaged for 15 years)

SAnt

Post by SAnt »

Check the power steering pressure valve. It's a known place for leaks :-

http://puggy206.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/ ... ssure.html
2002 206cc 2.0 Manual

tenpole

Post by tenpole »

My resevoir was in fact low/ empty. I see to have a leak on the lower hose that connects to the metal piping. I cant work out how this hose connects to the metal pipe. Is it just a push on fit?
206cc 1.6 2002 Silver.
L200 2.4 Forlife (wifes)
CB 400/4 (garaged for 15 years)

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

If it's what I'm thinking, it's crimped. Got a photo?
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

JayLacey

Post by JayLacey »

I know this is an old thread, but I've been experiencing this same problem with mine. When I turn the wheel left while driving on a motorway it sounds like metal on metal. I've checked the brakes to see if the pad is contacting the disc but that's not happening, and I've checked the play in the wheel to see if the bearing could be knackered but that's ok too. So I'm now whittling it down to the steering fluid being the issue. Does anybody know costs to replace/ refill/ destroy?

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

If it was low fluid you would get the noise turning left AND right. You need a litre or so of ATF fluid .. any good car spares outlet will have this.

Have you checked the rear! Noises transmit through the car so worn rear pads/bearings/etc can appear to come from the front!
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

JayLacey

Post by JayLacey »

Cheers, I've not checked the back, it's definitely the front because you can feel a slight vibration in the steering wheel when turning left. I'm booking it into a local "Dave" to see if he can help figure it out.

rubb3rbull3ts

Post by rubb3rbull3ts »

apologies for replying in an old thread, but my issue is the same. a friend has had a look underneath and thinks it's because the clip (jubilee?) is missing on both side's from the gaiter.
can anyone offer me some advice please?
206cc 1.6 2004 68,000

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

JayLacey wrote:Cheers, I've not checked the back, it's definitely the front because you can feel a slight vibration in the steering wheel when turning left. I'm booking it into a local "Dave" to see if he can help figure it out.
I would check front wheel bearings.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

rubb3rbull3ts wrote:apologies for replying in an old thread, but my issue is the same. a friend has had a look underneath and thinks it's because the clip (jubilee?) is missing on both side's from the gaiter.
can anyone offer me some advice please?
Presume you mean on the steering rack?? If so, that on it's own wouldn't cause the noise
(but should be replaced as it's an MOT failure)
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)