How to: Replace drop links

Anything related to the 206CC
Capncol

Re: How to: Replace drop links

Post by Capncol »

tenpole wrote:I got one link on but before I could tighten it I had to down tools and take my wife to hospital as her father had turned ill rather badly with blood poisoning.
You need a 17mm spanner for the locking nut and a thin 15mm for the flats on the bolt to hold it steady.
You only need to raise one side at a time. Always use axle stands never just the jack even when using a trolley jack.
As t goes I ended up using the trolley jack to lift the roll bar into position.
Glad he's on the mend.

If you have both wheels off the ground, you won't need to jack the roll bar. It will line up naturally.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

WEE SMURF

Post by WEE SMURF »

EdmundIJones wrote:Indeed, mine were the hex version, however, the bolt was so rusted on the hex head broke up and turned into a round head so there was nothing to grip on. It wasn't ideally but the two flats would have been best.
Indeed, a very common problem and I have found that most versions have these rather than the more useful "flats", however one bit of advice I would give for removal is to use a spare nut with the same thread and screw it into the exposed bit a couple of times before you do anything, this will clear the rusted thread better than any wire brush. If you are replacing them and not just removing them to do other work then you can use mole grips where the rubber boot sits as well, cut the boot off so you can see the best part to clamp. :thumbs:

leegsi

Post by leegsi »

If you have the type with a hex rather than the flats on the back you can also use molegrips to hold the bit at the back the stop it turning.

Also helps if you wire brush the threads and WD40 them first.

tenpole

Post by tenpole »

leegsi wrote: and WD40 them first.
This with a number of jobs and preferably the night before you do the job. It just helps.
206cc 1.6 2002 Silver.
L200 2.4 Forlife (wifes)
CB 400/4 (garaged for 15 years)

vknight

cranking engine but no start

Post by vknight »

hello,my 206cc cranks but won't start.replaced coil pack,spark plugs,battery but still no firing up during cranking.anyone help with this.

IanL

Post by IanL »

You likely won't get a lot of responses, as you posted under a 6 year old thread about replacing drop links.

You haven't said which engine you have, so I've guessed the 1.6. You could try replacing the inlet air pressure/temperature sensor. Also camshaft position sensor. Both are cheap.

Spitfire6

Post by Spitfire6 »

IanL wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:34 am You likely won't get a lot of responses, as you posted under a 6 year old thread about replacing drop links.

You haven't said which engine you have, so I've guessed the 1.6. You could try replacing the inlet air pressure/temperature sensor. Also camshaft position sensor. Both are cheap.
Hi,
I would not have thought of a faulty MAP? sensor or temperature sensor preventing the engine from starting. Buy/borrow an OBD2 reader?
Peugeot 206 CC 2L 16V 4cyl 2002. QX 3 5W40 Oil. Lamps 80% LED. 5% HID.
Triumph GT6 CC 2L5 12V 6Cyl 1972. QX 3 5W40 Oil. Lamps 98% LED.
G6SBH.
Siemens Controls & SW Engineer.

Pug3473

Post by Pug3473 »

Just rebuilt the complete front suspension on my saved from the scrapper 206cc